Friday 31 January 2014

How the Helper salvaged me from severe hardships… He can solve your problems -- By Dr Jose Paul M.D.


  One of my friends recently called me to say that he would like to talk to me for two minutes about something. I thought he wanted to consult me regarding some illness. But it was something very different.
  “I am going to tell you something about your spirituality,” he said. The Holy Spirit revealed to him to tell me that I had to seriously consider about an issue which was going to act adversely in my spiritual well-being.
 “I don’t know what the Holy Spirit was referring to,” he said. But I knew the issue. The realization was sudden and it came to me like a bolt from the blue. I realized it was a kind of signal from God.  The Holy Spirit pointed out to me about something (which I don’t want to reveal) I should be careful, through another person.
  The amazing thing was that I was very much upset about this problem and was praying for the past many hours. When the Holy Spirit conveyed it through my friend, I was able to take a very positive decision which helped me to solve this problem that was haunting me for many days.
  I was then filled with the “Joy of the Lord”, which I had enjoyed many times before. My dear friend, I still enjoy it.
  See how great is our God. He is very much concerned about us.  What you need is the power to take a firm decision and listen to His voice. The Helper, the most loving Holy Spirit, will help you in one way or other. You will be overwhelmed with the Joy of the Lord after taking the decision according to His will.      
  Are there any problems in your life? Yes, you have. You come across problems very often. What is your attitude when you approach a problem? Of Course, you are upset. Why? Because you don't know how to handle that and what's going to happen? The outcome may be something adverse in most of the cases. Let us see how one can tide over this situation.
  Nothing will happen without the knowledge of your Father in heaven, the Almighty God. St. Paul’s letter to the Romans (Rom 8:28-30) says, “We know that in all things God works for good in all those who love him; those whom he has called according to his purpose, those whom God has already chosen , he has also set apart to become like his son, so that his son would be the first amongst believers. And those he called, he put right with himself.”
  Haven’t you read about the adversities that Joseph, in the old testament, had to suffer? He was thrown into the well, sold to merchants and sent to the prison. Joseph suffered everything in his faith in God. He was then raised to the level of the top minister of Egypt, next to Pharaoh.
  Personally speaking, my story is not much different from Joseph’s story. I suffered financial hardships one after another for ten sleepless years. I used to cry and wet the pillows all through the night like David. If I go on detailing the adversities I had to suffer, one after another, it would be a big story. I don’t want to do it now. I can confidently say that God helped me to rise like a phoenix from the ashes. I was a financial and
emotional wreck for 10 years, but this changed in a month’s time. It was a magical experience and I know it was God’s work that brought me back to the previous position.  
  What I want to convey is that we have to go on thanking God whenever you encounter an adversity in your life. The Holy Spirit is always ready to lift you up. The grace that follows will be great, many times greater than the adversity you are facing, because you are worth much more than anything to Him. “Aren’t five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one sparrow is forgotten by God. Even the hairs of your head have all been counted. So do not be afraid, you are worth much more than many sparrows”. (Luke 12: 6-7).
  My dear friend, I thank God and go on thanking God, rather than cursing someone, whenever I am faced with a setback. I know that my Father in heaven is going to shower His grace and great joy after helping us to tide over the situation. Why don’t you try this and see the result whenever you are faced with an adversity in your life?
(The writer is the Director and Senior Consultant in internal medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, Thodupuzha)

No comments: