Wednesday 1 January 2014

Early morning is the best time of the day -- By Dr Jose Paul MD

 Are you a senior citizen? If yes, this is for you. Even if you aren't, it's worth reading this and trying it out. It can rejuvenate you physically, mentally and spiritually.

 You might have worked hard for the past many years, and now leads a retired life. Don’t you feel worn out? Yes, you do. Do you sleep well in the night? Unlikely.
 Are you happy about this situation? Not at all, I know. Do you feel like meeting your friends and relatives and spend time with them? The answer in most cases will be no. You would like to avoid them if possible.
 Dear friend, you are already experiencing or on the verge of getting old age depression. I know this as I had gone through the same stage two years ago. Now I’m 74. I have been a very active doctor working day and night for over four decades. At one stage, I felt age was catching up, not as healthy as before and not happy at all. I wanted to stop my medical practice and take rest. I did not feel like getting up early in the morning as before though I had to go to the hospital and take care of my patients. My prayer life also suffered. I underwent a complete medical check up. But everything was found to be normal and fine. Then what to do? Here came the answer after many months of tiresome unhappy days. This is the answer for you also.
  I knew that I had to activate my body, mind and spirit. I started getting up early in the morning at 4:30 am and spending time walking for nearly one hour covering almost 6 kms. In the beginning it was difficult but after a few days, I started feeling better and better. Without doubt, I can tell you that morning walk boosted my physical fitness.
  In other words, my point is that a man must choose between his love for his bed and his love for the Lord.  The more he loves the Lord, the more he will rise up early in the morning.
 That's not all.
  The next step was activating my mind. My hobby was reading books. During my younger days, I was a voracious reader, but stopped this habit many years ago due to heavy work load. Actually I did not get time to read. I took up my old hobby once again. Now I’m a member of two public libraries and added many books to my personal library. I have now read many of the world classics in addition to local publications. I felt more and more happy as I spent more time with books. After reading, I meditate upon this wonderful world and the people.
 The third step was reviving my prayer life. My spiritual activities were earlier cut short due to lack of time. I restarted my personal prayer which I could not do for a long time. There was no better time than the early morning period. When I take the one hour morning walk, I use that occasion for my personal prayers... that is, almost one hour for prayers. This is now giving me peace of mind and joy. We should rise up early because the early morning is the best time for fellowship with the Lord. All early risers must develop the habit of going to bed early.
 My dear friends, you won’t believe, I’m a different person now. Now I eagerly wait for the daybreak for my morning walk, meditation, and personal prayer. I spend all my leisure time in reading. On top of this, I'm a full time doctor enjoying my profession as I used to do before. Last but not least, the grateful words from my patients make me all the more happy and active. Dear friend, why don’t you try this and see the result?
 (The writer is Director and Senior Consultant, Mount Sinai Hospital, Thodupuzha, India)

No comments: