Wednesday 6 August 2014

He made no reply, not even to a single charge



 By SB
 When I was driving back home after dropping my kids at the school, I had to pass through a narrow lane with hardly space for one vehicle. Suddenly a scooter which was behind me suddenly brushed my car and tried to overtake, but the rider, a lady, couldn’t do it as the lane was too narrow for her.  
  She showered her choicest curses – yes, in a very abusive language – on me. I was dumbstruck for a couple of seconds by the reaction of the foul-mouthed lady. Should I react or not? I was thinking. Should I shout back or not? I was a bit angry with the uncourteous lady, but I decided not to be pejorative and instead kept quiet. I pressed on the gas and raced ahead, suddenly overtaking the scooter and sped past her. She continued her verbal assault but I didn’t look back.
  Later when I thought over and over about the incident, I wondered: I showed restraint though the other lady was abusive. I meditated about it and a Bible verse came to my mind.
  It was from a scene from the passion of Jesus. See what Mathew 26:62-63 says, “Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, 'Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?' But Jesus remained silent.”
 Again, in Mathew 27:13-14, we can read, “Then Pilate asked him, “Don’t you hear the testimony they are bringing against you?” But Jesus made no reply, not even to a single charge — to the great amazement of the governor.”
  Jesus could have defended Himself. He could have shouted back and explain the reality. But He chose to hear all the abuses of high priests and soldiers. This is one lesson we have not yet learned. “Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger,” says James 1:19.
  We sometimes face wrong allegations and accusations. We are sometimes blamed for something which we are not responsible. But don’t overreact. As the Proverb says, “even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.”
  I didn’t overreact in the scooter incident. On any other day, I would have showed my anger and disapproval and retaliated verbally. But somehow, I was able to withstand it.
 In short, we have to learn a lot on reacting to circumstances and situations. If we show restraint, we can avoid many ugly scenes and incidents. We read about road rages in metropolitan cities like Mumbai. Most of them start in a very small way: in one case it started with honking and in another case it was refusal to allow overtaking. Such incidents start with small arguments and end up even in murders.
  Silence is golden on some occasions. That’s what Jesus teaches us.