Saturday 17 May 2014

Nuns & roses for Jesus and you


By Sheena George
    When I recently flew from Mumbai to Kochi, I met a Hindu girl from Nashik, which is nearly 200 kms north of Mumbai. Seated next to me on the flight, the 19-year old girl struck a conversation with me. “Are you a Christian?” she asked. She might have seen me doing the sign of the cross.  
  “I like Christians. They are my favourite people,” she said. I became curious and asked her the reasons. “I studied in a Catholic school run by nuns. In the school, nuns used to tell us about how Jesus died for us. They used to talk to us about the life of saints,” she replied. Her name is Divya Ramesh.
  More than that, she was touched by the sacrificial life of nuns for Jesus. “They sacrificed their entire life for Jesus Christ. They renounced the materialistic world. It’s unfathomable. They could have enjoyed the world but they opted for a different life,” she said.
 The life of nuns even prompted her to watch the Hollywood hit film “Passion of Christ”. “I cried watching this film,” Divya said.
  This opened a door for me to talk about Christianity and Jesus, the true God, to her. 
     Do we really understand the life of nuns and priests? Especially their sacrifices. No, I don’t think so, at least in the case of nuns. We underestimate and undervalue their services and contribution. Most of us consider nuns as a different group, having a cloistered life. I think it’s much beyond all that.
   What I wanted to highlight is that we don’t see the life of nuns and priests but a Hindu girl could see it. The silent, but efficient, work being done by nuns in evangelization should open our eyes. They were able to talk and take Jesus to people who haven’t heard about the true God. They don’t have the comforts and luxury that the world offers to everyone. They don’t attend weddings or dinner parties. They don’t have anything of their own. Not even a bank account of their own.     
  It might be sheer coincidence as we – husband, daughter and me – were traveling to Kochi to attend a small function to mark 50 years of our aunt’s life as a nun in a Christian congregation. Rev Sr Lucy, my mother-in-law’s younger sister joined the Adoration congregation under the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church in 1964. She could have opted for normal family life like anybody else, but she gave up everything for Jesus. That was a big sacrifice.   
  Are we seeing their sacrifices? I doubt it. Do we acknowledge their contribution? We have heard about Catherine of Sienna, Hildegarde, Teresa of Avila, Therese of Lisieux. Then we have our own Mother Theresa and Alphonsa.
  Pope Francis recently said, “What would happen if there were no nuns? No nuns in hospitals, in missions, in charitable institutions, in schools… Can you even imagine a Church without nuns? No it is unthinkable!”
  “They are a gift, the leaven that carries the message of Christ. These women are great,” he said. Very true, indeed.
   Although priests too earmark their lives for Jesus alone, they get some, if not full, credit and acknowledgement for their services. That may not be the case for nuns who are mostly forgotten.
 Who taught you about Christianity and Jesus Christ when you were young? Who taught you the prayers when you were a kid? I f you’re a Catholic, who prepared you for the first Holy Communion?  I’m sure that in most cases it has to be a nun. Have you ever thanked her for that? Hope you’ve at least prayed for them.